- DANGER: Snow, Ice Threat from Cleon
- New Winter Storm Heads East
- Ice and Snow in Dallas
- That's Not Snow... it's SPIDERS
- What's Killing Christmas Trees?
- 400,000 Yr Old Bones Rock Science World
- EARTH: From 'Outside My Window'
- Snow, Sleet, and Freezing Rain
- Snorkelers Get Close to Whale Shark
- Hurricane Force Winds in Europe
- Baby Mountain Lions Get New Home
- A MAJOR Whale Discovery!
- They've NEVER Seen Anything Like It
- Cleon in the East
- Cleon in the Plains
- Next Winter Storm on the West Coast
- Would YOU Use THIS?
- INCREDIBLE Find in Arizona Cave
- WATCH: SNEAKIEST Hunting Trick EVER
- Storm Watch
- WWII 'Mega Submarine' FOUND
- Big Cat Roams in Hollywood Hills
- Powerful Storm Produces BIG Waves
- WATCH: Shark INCHES AWAY from Boat
- DEADLY Hurricane Winds Causing Damage
- Healthy Eating Options For Holiday Travel
- Britain Storms Cause Chaos; Death Toll
- SHOCKING Find Under Football Field
- BEWARE: Toxic Amoeba Spreading
- Killer Whales' Amazing Power Discovered
- Alien Pyramids Discovered?
- Nelson Mandela Dies
- Tornado Victims Search for Letters
- Turkey Attacks Fed Ex Truck
- Forecast for the Week Ahead
- A Puffin Comeback
- 500 Pound Pig on the Loose
- Whales Stranded in Everglades
- Volcano Spews More Ash
- Hero Killed by Big Wave
- Winter Storm Cleon: A Mixed Bag
- Landslide Rips Apart Roads
- Alien Water Found?
- Jellyfish, the Future of Flight?
- Adorable, Baby Dinosaur Will Make You Smile
- A Better Berry, Thanks to Bees
- Listen to the Koala's Mating Call
- Fish You DON'T Want to Eat
- A Fish That Lives on LAND?
- Weekend Forecast
- Incurable Virus?
- Rescue After Nearly 3 Days at Sea!
- Deadly Shark Attack in Paradise
- Getting Rid of Snakes With MICE
- Precipitation Starts as SNOW?
- How Deep is the Cold Air?
- A National Look at the Next 3 Days
- They Want to Put WHAT on the Moon?
- 2013 Hurricane Season Wrap Up
- Reporting INSIDE Winter Storm Cleon
- Best Ways To Protect Your Car This Winter
- A Predatory Flower?
- What You Don't Know About Rain
- Never-Before-Seen Views!
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Communications Satellite
- She Was Trapped Here for HOURS
- Seattle Seahawks Fans Register As Earthquake
- Smelly Problem Made Worse
- World's First Electric Helicopter!
- Do We Actually Get Sick More in Winter?
- Giant Python Unhinges Jaws
- GRAPHIC: Sperm Whale EXPLODES
- Earthquake Explosions SHOCK Community
- De-Icer Made This Bridge DANGEROUS
- WWII Super Submarine Discovered!
- Let the Drone Wars Begin
- Honey to Help You LOSE Weight?
- STUNNING Fog in the Grand Canyon
- Lost and Found in an EF-4 Tornado
- Gas Pipeline EXPLODES!
- It Keeps Going, and Going!
- The Enchanted River
- CAUTION? It May Be a Good Thing
- Sunscreen in the Winter?
- See-Through Sea Creature!
- RIP Ugliest Dog in the World
- Disappearing Tribal Cultures
- What Happened to 2013 Hurricane Season?
- What is Killing These Animals?
- African Elephant in DANGER
- Camera Flies Away? How?
- Doctors Growing Skin for Surgical Procedures
- Ancient Skulls FOUND in Mass Grave
- Heavy Rainfall Causes Flooding in Italy
- Challenges for Drone Delivery
- What Weather Will Winter Bring?
- Green Sea Turtle Populations on the Rise
- Secret Killer Unleashed?
- This Python Ate WHAT?
- Feel Good Stories of the Week
- Watch Tornado Slam into School
- 65-Car Crash Blamed on WHAT?
- Santas on the Run!
- Arctic: The New Frontier
- Green Community Turns off Solar Panels
- Amazon Plans Delivery Drones
- Plane Crashes in Freezing Rain
- Scientists Try to Clone Extinct Species
- Black Hole's Extreme Brightness Baffles Scientists
- Next Winter Storm in the Midwest
- Panda Cub's Name Revealed
- China Winning Space Race?
- Why Hookah May Be More Harmful Than You Think
- Town Mayor Describes Impact of Typhoon
- Exploring Shipwrecks With a Turtle-Like Robot
- Earth's Most Irreplaceable Sites
- 3-D Printed Car Greenest Vehicle Ever?
- A Bad Weather Beer
- Scary Snowman's Shocking Surprise
- Battle to keep Dwarf Goat and Mini Sheep
- One Giant Leap for Plant Kind?
- Missing Science Balloon Returns
- Black Bear Killed with WHAT?
- The Weather Channel Wants Your Snowy Patio Furniture Pics
- 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Iranian Town
- Two Legs for Dog, No Problem
- We Sing For Your Snowy Patio Furniture Photos
- Dog Missing 15 Days Found Alive
- Boy Hit By Meteorite?
- Amazing Holiday Window Displays
- Snakehead Found WHERE?
- Baby Born in DURING EF-5 Tornado
- China to Launch Its 1st Unmanned Probe
- Turkey Saved After Being Hit by Truck
- How Can We Keep Them Alive?
- RAW: Golf Ball Sized Hail Storm
- Your Makeup Has WHAT in It?
- Gassy Cows a Serious Danger?
- Mystery of the Pyramids, SOLVED
- Raw: Spinning Ice Disk in River
- Brazil's 2014 World Cup Stadium Partially Collapses
- WATCH: Teens Saved in STUNNING Rescue
- BUSTED: Under-Reported Fishing Traps
- Unexpected MASSIVE Catch
- Stairway to Heaven
- Darwin Named Frog Species Just Became Extinct
- GROWL: Watch Out Marathoners...
- Helicopter Crashes Into Pub
- White House Christmas Tree Arrives
- Jupiter's Eye Explained
- Bees Able to Detect CANCER?
- He HUGGED a Shark?
- Why Are Dolphins DYING?
- Photog Captures Astronauts Training Underwater
- Shark Found CHOKING on WHAT!?
- Archaeologists Dig In Wrong Spot For 90 Years
- Your Engine Could Stop MIDFLIGHT
- WATCH: Drive of DEATH
- Venomous Snakes Shock Driver
- Rare MONSTER Jellyfish Captured!
- Laughing Gas Severe Threat to Ozone Layer
- Man Hugs Lion in the Wild
- Mount Etna Rains Dust and Rocks on Hikers
- A New Way to Explore Earth
- Mount Sinabung Erupts
- Why is Cow on Hood of Car?
- Winter Car Survival Kit
- Sour Grapes? 3,700 Year Old Wine
- Where did Stonehenge Come From?
- How Cold Weather Affects Your Smart Phone
- Storm Damage You Didn't Know You Had?
- In Antarctica: Visitors From Beyond the Galaxy?
- A Cheating Fisherman
- What Will Make You a Sour Grape
- 15-Year-Old Encounters Playful Seal
- WEIRD or Adorable?
- Driest Surface Ever?
- Mystery Sea Creature Washes Ashore
- Is it Ever Too Cold to Snow?
Extreme heat and drought have made this summer one that many of us would like to forget.
(PHOTOS: 2012 drought disaster)
We saw some initial heat relief late last week and over the weekend in many cities that have endured the extremes of summer 2012. However, the long-term pattern looks promising too, partially due to a weather pattern that we look for during the winter that is favorable for cold outbreaks and snow.
Greenland Block = Cooler East of Rockies
High pressure near Greenland helps to send a dip in the jet stream southward into the central and eastern U.S.
The upcoming pattern is one that meteorologists who are fans of winter weather salivate over. This was something we did not see much of this past winter.
When there is high pressure in the upper atmosphere near Greenland, the jet stream over North America typically buckles and dips southward across the eastern half of the United States, resulting in a period of cooler-than-average temperatures. This pattern is what meteorologists call the negative phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO).
The NAO is forecast to head strongly negative, bringing an extended period of heat relief for many states east of the Rockies beginning later this week.
Below-Average Temperature Forecast
The six to ten day temperature outlook from the Climate Prediction Center shows the highest probabilities of below-average temperatures (blue shadings) in portions of the central and eastern states.
The latest six-to-ten day forecast from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center shows this with a large area of below-average temperatures dominating much of the central and eastern states. It's August, so settle down winter weather lovers -- we aren't talking about freezing temperatures and snow like we would if this pattern were in place during the heart of January.
What we will see beginning the next few days ahead are high temperatures in the 60s, 70s and low 80s dominating the Midwest. Even the scorched south-central states will see the edge taken off the extreme heat that has plagued the region so far in early August.
The dip in the stream will first begin to enter into the Dakotas and Montana Wednesday and push into parts of the southern and eastern states by Friday and Saturday.
It's not out of the question that temperatures could drop to within a few degrees of record lows Friday and Saturday morning in some Midwest cities. Morning temperatures bottoming out in the 40s and 50s will spread across the region Friday through Sunday.
You can track the falling temperatures each day by clicking through our national forecast high/low temperature map links below or look up your 10-day forecast on weather.com.
Departure from average temperatures in the 90 days ending August 11, 2012. Darker orange and red shaded areas are the farthest above average.
Last week, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released a report showing that July 2012 was the warmest month on record in the United States. It hasn't just been July though, we've seen plenty of record-breaking heat in late June and the first part of August.
(MORE: Hottest month on record)
Overall, when you look at the departure from average temperatures over the 90 days ending August 11, it's hard to find many areas that have seen near or below-average temperatures.